anyone heard this yet?

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

anyone heard this yet?

Postby Adam » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:46 am

http://www.climbing.com/news/hotflashes ... the_eiger/

what's he gonna combine next? free solo up to a base jump and land on a slack line?
Adam

Re: anyone heard this yet?

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:37 am

While a nice stunt, that is hardly a freesolo.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Adam » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:52 am

it's definitely a free solo... free-climbing, alone, no ropes... it's just not as committing as, for example, honnold's moonlight buttress solo.
Adam

Postby Matt Peck » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:12 am

Here we go again....
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:16 am

Matt Peck wrote:Here we go again....
No doubt.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby martha » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:19 am

hmm... I don't think it is a free solo... since if he fell there is a chance he'd not die... free solo to me means no gear and no ability to recover from a fall....

What a cheater he is. sheesh. :roll:
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Adam » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:37 am

i guess deep water soloing should be called something else then too.
Adam

Postby Adam » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:45 am

Matt Peck wrote:Here we go again....

haha...

it's monday, i'm grumpy. let's fight!
Adam

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:13 am

trad_reborn wrote:i guess deep water soloing should be called something else then too.

I see what you're saying, but thay are already calling is a BASE solo so I think even climbing magazine sees the distinction.
granite_grrl

Postby Adam » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:22 am

i definitely see a distinction, but i still think it is free soloing. there is still a chance he would not be able to open his chute and save himself from death. it's not like he was 100% safe by ANY means.
Adam

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:52 am

trad_reborn wrote:i definitely see a distinction, but i still think it is free soloing. there is still a chance he would not be able to open his chute and save himself from death. it's not like he was 100% safe by ANY means.

Same can be said for deep water soloing too. Water still hurt when you hit it, especially if you hit it wrong. Sometimes it'll do permanent lasting damage too (and death). The waves slamming into the cliffs are none too plesant either.
granite_grrl

Postby martha » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:57 am

trad_reborn wrote:i definitely see a distinction, but i still think it is free soloing. there is still a chance he would not be able to open his chute and save himself from death. it's not like he was 100% safe by ANY means.

Well, rock climbing in general, even top roping is not 100% safe by any means.

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Shawn B » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:59 pm

chossmonkey wrote:While a nice stunt, that is hardly a freesolo.

Why not try to be positive about something?

Bottom line...it's a pretty darn cool thing.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't thinking about "your" requirements when he was doing it. I know you think you are doing your internet duty by "striing the pot" but can't you please put a positive spin on something for a change? We'd all appreciate it.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby STeveA » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:02 pm

I'm positive he is not free soloing although I applaud his balls for getting on a climb near his limits without a rope. Did he jump from the top or walk down?
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:22 pm

trad_reborn wrote:i guess deep water soloing should be called something else then too.
Instead of deep water freesoloing?

I'm not saying it wasn't soloing. Like most eveyone else I'm saying it isn't free solo. Much like deep water soloing or very highball bouldering there is still a pretty big safety net compared to freesoloing.

Since when is climbing 100% safe? Even life itself?
chossmonkey

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:56 pm

Shawn B wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:While a nice stunt, that is hardly a freesolo.

Why not try to be positive about something?

I'm POSITIVE that wasn't a freesolo. :wink:
chossmonkey

Postby Fred » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:54 pm

:lol:
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Adam » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:54 pm

STeveA wrote:I'm positive he is not free soloing although I applaud his balls for getting on a climb near his limits without a rope. Did he jump from the top or walk down?

i always associated the 'free' in free soloing with the 'free' in free climbing. ie., you're only using your body to keep your body on the rock. this is in contrast to aid soloing where you are using gear to hold yourself on.

granted he had somewhat of an escape route, but i am positive it is free soloing. hell if you climb a super high ball with a bunch of crash pads you are still free soloing... just with some order of remediation against death.

i believe his plan was to jump from the top.
Adam

Postby Matt Peck » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:03 pm

Gotta concur with Adam on this one. By definition, I'd say this one is a free solo, As there is nothing in the meaning of Free solo that says if you fall you have to die/suffer harm. He solo'ed the route, with no rope or aid (Thats the free part). He could have carried a rope with him and had gear on his harness and that still would have been free solo. As Adam said earlier, it was perhaps not as committing as the Classic free solo style, but I would still label this as such. So perhaps not as pure a style, but that's all.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby Nihoa » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:02 pm

omg talk about splitting hairs here in the comfort of the internet. label it whatever you want but buddy has more balls than me or anyone i know. with all this sponsorship and competition becoming so prevalent in climbing retarded debates like this ensue! next time any of us are on 50 foot route, > 5.12, shaking our guts out but safe on our gear think about being magnitudes higher with nothing but a parachute.
Nihoa

Postby *Chris* » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:17 pm

Matt Peck wrote:... So perhaps not as pure a style, but that's all.
The thing that pisses me off is the hype Dean P and others are getting on the net and in the mags for free soloing (or whatever you're calling it). When something like this is done with a camera crew or in full public view it lacks any style in my books. Want to solo... fine... but don't glorify it and don't expect me to shower you with praise for your accomplishment. Personally, I liken free soloing to jacking off... if it makes you feel good about yourself then have at it, but for god's sake keep it to yourself.
*Chris*

Postby martha » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:28 pm

Nihoa wrote: label it whatever you want but buddy has more balls than me or anyone i know.

They must be taking up space from his lack of brains but I guess you can't win em' all.

martha

Postby Nihoa » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:21 pm

martha wrote:They must be taking up space from his lack of brains but I guess you can't win em' all.

hahah. if it were done by a diff climber would your opinion change? no really. there are a crew of celeb climbers out there and i know there are a few i cant stand and dismiss anything they do by default. dean seems to attract a lot of negative comments and i wonder if dude could ever do anything right.
Nihoa

Postby Burley » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:52 pm

Way more important things for us all to complain about. Like why doesn't the UNB club work to get a lead wall? Or how we can build a roof over the cliffs to keep the rain off? Or what would be the best chemical to use to get the new slime off the rock caused by the rain?

He is clearly doing it for glory - why else would there be a crew filming it? However, most of us are somewhat motivated by glory. I have no problem with this. I will not get harmed in anyway by someone soloing. Plus I think this is wicked awesome... that was my initial reaction when I saw the article... I said "Man, that is wicked awesome... 5.12, The Freaking Eiger, and a base jump... wild." Way beyond me, but I can still love it.

Push yourself to the point of teetering on death and you'll get it... it ain't the fame, the glory, the ladies, the cash... they are all nice, but this is about the addiction... the man is just feeding the rat... doesn't have a choice in the matter.

Don't take his actions personally... he likes glory... who wouldn't, but that isn't the motivation. Ask anyone that has ever pushed the limits to the point where their life was totally dependent upon there mental and physical ability to keep it together and they'll tell you the same thing... makes me feel alive.
Burley

Postby *Chris* » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:01 pm

Burley wrote:... I have no problem with this. I will not get harmed in anyway by someone soloing...
Yep... you could. I can think of 3 ways.
1. Soloist craters nearby and you have the messy job of having to provide assistance... possibly adding risk to yourself.
2. Soloist craters at the crag you frequent. Owners learn of it and shut down access. They figure all climbers are the same. Hell, they might just read about a successful solo on the inter-spray-net and shut it down anyway due to risk.
3. Soloist craters and lands on you directly. Your body is smushed... unless you are huge... like me!
But sure... definately more pressing issues at hand.
*Chris*

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:40 pm

Burley wrote:Push yourself to the point of teetering on death and you'll get it... it ain't the fame, the glory, the ladies, the cash... they are all nice, but this is about the addiction... the man is just feeding the rat... doesn't have a choice in the matter.

You're saying you get it? Have you really pushed yourself to the point of teetering on death?

I don't think you'll be insisting on people pushing themselves that close to the edge if you ever have to carry someone else or get carried out yourself. Trust me, there is no glory in it.
granite_grrl

Postby martha » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:07 pm

Nihoa wrote:if it were done by a diff climber would your opinion change?

No, I think that anyone who solos is a selfish idiot. Yes, I've told Ulysse that to his face. but I still love him to death.

Anyways, I'm with Chris on this one... I agree on all 3. and to add to it if it were your mother/father/spouse/child etc soloing and they die... how does that impact your life? I find it irresponsible and unnecessary.... but hey, so are a lot of things right?

martha

Postby Adam » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:40 am

for sure Erick has gotten a taste of it before but not on the same level as DP. Erick's done some crazy paddling as well as putting himself on trad lead. it doesn't have to be a dangerous free solo to feel like you're teetering :)

and Mark... you say you dislike certain celeb climbers as if you know them personally. all we see is a persona, not the real person, so what is it about DP and others that so irks you? he does crazy flowers and is still alive so dude's got skills. what is it that causes dismissal by default?
Adam

Postby Shawn B » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:58 pm

*Chris* wrote:Personally, I liken free soloing to jacking off... if it makes you feel good about yourself then have at it, but for god's sake keep it to yourself.

I think this is the best thing I have ever read on this site!! :D :D
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby Shawn B » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:07 pm

granite_grrl wrote:You're saying you get it? Have you really pushed yourself to the point of teetering on death?

I'd guess the answer to this would be yes. Extremely talented paddler. And I'd say there is actually less room for error in the kayaking he has done than in climbing.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Next

Return to General