Kamouraska

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Kamouraska

Postby Andrew » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:52 pm

I'm likely headed to Kamouraska for 4-5 days next week and am looking for assistance on details like where to stay, how much, how to contact these people, etc.

I was there before and remember camping out (tents) right close to the cliffs at a paysite. Anyone have a website and details for this place? Directions as well and any details that might help like are there places to buy camping type food or whatever.

Andrew
Andrew

Re: Kamouraska

Postby Matt Peck » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:18 pm

You camp at the sebka campsite. Drive past riviere Du Loup about 40 kms till you see the turnoff for St Andre, take it and turn right. Drive down a windy hill past a ridge on your left until you reach a junction in the small town of St Andre at the bottom of the hill. To the right there is a crap convenience store if you need it. Turn left to get to the climbing. Drive about 3-4 mins and you'll see a parking lot with a sign post on your right. That's the parking for the cliff. Cross the road and walk the path up through the field and up hill for the climbing. Follow the signs for "grimpe" About 1 minute further on you'll hit sebka. Camp in the right side section. Good running trails around the "park" for a morning warmup. Camping was $17 per night per site (3-4 persons and 2 cars per site max). Climbing must be paid every day at $7 per day (last year). You can buy a year pass good till next year of date purchased for $32 or so (do the math to see if it's worth it).
Now. MANDITORY FOR KAMOURASKA EXPERIENCE:
Turn right from the campsite before going climbing EVERY MORNING. Do NOT deviate. Travel about 10 kms or so further along the road to the picturesque village of Kamouraska. Drive through town until you see a large stone church on your left. Park in the parking lot on your right.
Walk into the BOULANGERIE ARMAND and stock up a daily supply of Almondine, Brioche, and Olive bread. Travel next door for awesome coffee.

There is a bank machine about .5 clicks farther up the road on the left. If you turn left on the major intersection in town it will take you away from the fleuve (river) towards La Pascal (I think) travel 3-4 kms and turn left in town to find a large grocery store and liquor store if you need it.

There is also a very different but amazing wall on private land located about 2-3 klicks towards town from the campsite. You travel over a hill behind a pair of houses with red roofs on the left. You have to ask permission for both climbing and parking. STELLAR spot, but hard to get permission for.

Free camping can also be had about 8 kms from the campsite on the right. Just past a sign that says no RV's. turn right and drive down this road to a small clearing with a bunch of fish shacks and a blocked off road up a hill. Camp at your own risk (party spot) and don't leave your car unsupervised.

Cheers!
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Postby *Chris* » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:39 pm

Matt Peck wrote: If you turn left on the major intersection in town it will take you away from the fleuve (river) towards La Pascal (I think) travel 3-4 kms and turn left in town to find a large grocery store and liquor store if you need it.
I can't think of any situation or circumstance on a climbing where you can't use liquor? Doesn't compute!
*Chris*

Postby Andrew » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:21 pm

Oh ya, so guys, thanks for the assistance on directions and suggestions :)

BTW... The trip was AWESOME. Tom and I got on some awesome routes and I even led two of them :P

For anyone who hasn't been to kamouraska... well worth it. Still a few good weeks left in the season.

One tip, though... if you go into Riviere De Loup (spelling?)... Skip Burger King... they are clueless there and when you are hungry and want to eat something fast... waiting 20mins literally for your burger is NOT GOOD.

tintin au tibet was great and so was the rest of the routes... I just remember that one because Tom made such a big deal about how awesome it was, lol! It was awesome.
Andrew

Return to General