slackers

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

slackers

Postby Fred » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:13 pm

So... I've got the slackline itch all of a sudden so thought I'd start a thread.

I see in some of the youtube videos for slacklining they are using some pretty wide webbing. What's the standard or ethic on this one? Is it any easier with wider webbing? Some of it almost looked as wide as firehose.

Is more tension in the line better? The other night the guys were talking about having a hard time getting the line tensioned. Ever thought of using a tie down strap around the tree with a ratchet? Ones like you'd use to tie down a motorbike in the back of a pick-up truck.

I appologize in advance for my amateur questions. :) I feel like the newbie rock climber in the forum.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Re: slackers

Postby chossmonkey » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:24 am

I'd have to think wider would be easier. 1" is the standard and the only thing I have ever walked on.

Tighter makes it easier as it sways a lot less. Tighter also puts more stress on the system. Ideally with a low line, it should just be tight enough that your fat buddy doesn't sag to the ground when in the middle.

The ratchet tie downs aren't strong enough for setting up a slack line. You absolutely do not want your rig to break. Pieces of metal on the ends of highly tensioned webbing flying through the air are a very bad thing. There is or was a commercially made set-up that would allow you to easily st up and take down your line. You could use a come along to tighten the line, then remove it.

The couple times I've set one up we just did a 3:1 type of pull system, it helps to have two people. You can both pull, then one can hold the line while the other ties it off.

Oh, and one more thing......

STFU n00b!!!!!!! :lol:
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Fred » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:36 am

Is there a set-up that works with just one person to put it together?
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Adam » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:03 am

Fred wrote:Is there a set-up that works with just one person to put it together?

the setup we had at Jon's can be set up with one person, but it took two of us to get it as tight as we did. you can easily get it tight *enough* with one person, using 3 biners and some tec cord.

the tighter it is the better it is IMHO, but when it is looser it is more forgiving. so once you're decent at walking on it having it tighter makes turning etc easier.
Adam

Postby mick » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:42 am

My solo slacking setup is as follows:

3 x locking HMS biners
15m x 1" tubular webbing
2 x giant slings (each 5m x 1" tubular webbing tied with a water knot)
2 x carpet scraps (at least 50cm x 75cm)
2 x line lockers (single oval links of 3/8" zinc plated stainless steel chain)

The guys at Canadian Tire will be overjoyed at having to cut every other link for you. 1ft of chain will get you about 6 line lockers. Using line lockers allows you to avoid using any knots in the system and also keeps the line flat by bighting the webbing an passing it through the link, then back around on itself and through again. You can then clip a biner to the resulting interior loop instead of using a clove hitch. See http://www.slackline.com/?p=106 for details (actually the whole slackline.com website is great). Be sure to file down the burrs at the weld on the inside of the link or you will shred your webbing over time.

I tension the whole thing with a 3:1 using just two biners, with the webbing running under itself so it stays secure under its own friction. The tension system should be about about 20% of the length of the span to avoid having the biners touch and being unable to tension it anymore. I can get it pretty tight by myself, although it's easier with two people.
This setup is great for slacklines up to about 25 feet, anything longer than that and you should probably look into a removable pulley system using static cord.

The carpet scraps are essential to protect the trees and your webbing. Setting up a slackline on a tree without padding will leave big gouges after just one session.
mick

Postby Murph » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:26 am

For shorter lines, I normally use the 3:1 system with overlapping webbing. For longer lines that require more tension, I use a set up similar to this but replace all the expensive equipment with 8mm cord, ovals and small red pulleys and prusiks. I find that there is less friction with this system and is nice when you are limited by the total length of your slackline.
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby Jon Corey » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:57 pm

I have been eyeing can tire tie down rigs with the ratchet but I'm too scottish to spend the 10.00 (on sale) It is worth a try and if you are worried about the mechanical part breaking you could build in a back up with a line locker. I have seen those wide commercial Gibbon lines with the ratcheting system. my opinion is that they are marketing them to mostly inline skaters and skateboarders and not to rock climbers. the wider the line the easier it must be. Stick to the 1" webbing and when you learn the trick it will be that much more satesfying.
Fred I know that image is important to you when climbing and slacklining should be no different. When you fall off the line and break your wrist do you want to tell people you fell off something as wide as a side walk or a 1" slackline.

Wednesday nights. My place. slackline. call for directions anyone is welcome 455-5680
jon corey
Jon Corey

Postby peter » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:37 pm

mick wrote:My solo slacking setup is as follows:

Out for a run recently, I saw three people setting up at the Willow Tree Squeegee Flop area at Quinpool & Robie, across from the old QE High School. I didn't stop running to look (because I wouldn't be able to start again), but who was setting up that local action?
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby Adam » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:21 am

Jon Corey wrote:Fred I know that image is important to you when climbing and slacklining should be no different.

In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity is the vital thing. - Oscar Wilde
Adam

Postby Fred » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:08 am

Jon Corey wrote:Fred I know that image is important to you when climbing and slacklining should be no different. When you fall off the line and break your wrist do you want to tell people you fell off something as wide as a side walk or a 1" slackline.

you know me too well.... 10-4
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Fred » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:10 am

I think slacklining is become a "sport" in its own. There are lots of people slacking around Fredericton that I'm sure aren't climbers.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby peter » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:15 pm

Fred wrote:I think slacklining is become a "sport" in its own.

I consider everyone under 40 to be a slacker.
A monk asked Quiglin Shiqian, "What is a person who has realized the Way?"
Quiglin said, "Embracing the ice and snow, head and eyebrows held high."
peter

Postby Adam » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:24 pm

Fred wrote:I think slacklining is become a "sport" in its own. There are lots of people slacking around Fredericton that I'm sure aren't climbers.

in the fall i set my slackline up and people came by who were actually on their way to set up a slackline elsewhere in town. that was probably a first in Fred'ton heh
Adam

Postby SeanM » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:42 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2rD2uNJOtI

The set up this person uses is as basic as it gets, and easy to tension with just one person. It uses a 4:1 system that allows easy tensioning, and it doesn't require any gear other than webbing and 4 biners (and some kind of cushioning, if you're going around trees).

No slings or ratchets or cords or anything.

Granted, it does use a bit more webbing than some other methods, but at $1 a meter, you still come out ahead.
SeanM

Postby changela » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:29 am

Out for a run recently, I saw three people setting up at the Willow Tree Squeegee Flop area at Quinpool & Robie, across from the old QE High School. I didn't stop running to look (because I wouldn't be able to start again), but who was setting up that local action?

I met a guy who works at MEC last year when I bought my slackline ... I think he lives in that area. We've set up in the park next to St. Pat's a couple of times.

Can someone give me a refresher on setting up the slackline with the overlap method? I haven't set mine up since last year.

Ang
changela

Postby Adam » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:49 am

i think i need to rethink how i do it. sure i get it tight enough but man i have to tug pretty hard. lol... and yes i'm talking about slacklining.
Adam

Postby Fred » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:13 pm

There's no way that set-up was tight enough to slackline on.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:21 pm

Fred wrote:There's no way that set-up was tight enough to slackline on.

Is it supposed to be a slackline or a tight rope?
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Adam » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:03 am

chossmonkey wrote:
Fred wrote:There's no way that set-up was tight enough to slackline on.

Is it supposed to be a slackline or a tight rope?

slacklines ideally are still pretty tight. the setup buddy had in the vid prob wan't as tight as i'd want it.
Adam

Postby Fred » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:19 am

As a general rule, your feet can't touch the ground because of stretch in the line. :mrgreen:
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:41 pm

Fred wrote:As a general rule, your feet can't touch the ground because of stretch in the line. :mrgreen:
You do have a point there.
chossmonkey

Postby Murph » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:49 pm

Quick tip to make you line tighter: place your foot on a tree and use your legs as you pull the slack. Your legs are much stronger than your arms.
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby slackliner » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:31 am

The Dalhousie Slacklining Society is looking for more slackliners! We set up on campus a few times a week. Reply back if you wanna give slacklining a try!?!?!
slackliner

Postby chossmonkey » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:23 pm

Check this site out Fred.

http://www.gibbon-slacklines.com/

They had them at Roctober Fest. They are wider than traditional slicklines, but have the ratchet style tensioner. The wider line would probably be better for doing tricks on. The rep that was there was doing some crazy stuff on them.
chossmonkey

Postby Fred » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:17 pm

I think half the YouTube videos out there people are using these wider set-ups. Looks way easier.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Fred » Sun May 16, 2010 11:23 am

Seems this is what they are using. Gibbons Slackline 2" wide with ratchets.

http://www.gibbonslacklines.com/classic_slackline.html
Fred
Site Admin

Postby STeveA » Mon May 17, 2010 1:29 pm

We have the Gibbons slackline at the college wall. I don't think it is easier than 1", just different. Definately easier to set up with the ratchet system.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby Fred » Mon May 17, 2010 2:09 pm

Steve:

Would you recommend buying the Gibbons or getting basic webbing and pulleys?

Fred
Fred
Site Admin

Postby granite_grrl » Tue May 18, 2010 5:51 pm

The Gibbons stuff looks pretty slick.

It's funny how slacklining is becoming more and more main stream. I was really surprised when I was biking through the neighbourhood and I saw a student on their front lawn with their slack line set up.
granite_grrl

Postby STeveA » Tue May 25, 2010 8:17 am

The Gibbon unit makes it easy to set up and tension by yourself. If you have the money I would recommend it. Webbing and biners works as well, but is harder to set up. As far as Slacklining, I did better on the narrow web than the wider, but I believe that is more a reflection of my skills than the system.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Next

Return to General