Possible access threat to Muir Valley at the RRG.

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Possible access threat to Muir Valley at the RRG.

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:25 pm

It seems the State would like to reroute the 715 through it.

http://www.redriverclimbing.com/viewtopic.php?t=10904
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Re: Possible access threat to Muir Valley at the RRG.

Postby Adam » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:29 am

great climbing in Muir... this would be a shame.
Adam

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:53 pm

One of the two main areas where lots of new sport routes are still being put up too.
granite_grrl

Postby *Chris* » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:21 am

I'm not fully understanding the situation... how would re-routing the highway through the valley result in a permenant climbing closure? I'm not connecting the dots.

Also, trying to picture this... is Muir the area where my old man's tercel got the tar kicked out of it trying to gun it back up and out of the valley? Or am I thinking of Pendergrass?
*Chris*

Postby chossmonkey » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:44 pm

*Chris* wrote:I'm not fully understanding the situation... how would re-routing the highway through the valley result in a permenant climbing closure? I'm not connecting the dots.

Also, trying to picture this... is Muir the area where my old man's tercel got the tar kicked out of it trying to gun it back up and out of the valley? Or am I thinking of Pendergrass?

I think you are thinking of the Pendergrass with several pulloffs and parking lots. The Muir has one parking lot at the top and it is a long walk down and into the valley to the different cliffs.

I doubt it would be to total closure but it would depend on where exactly the road goes and how much of or how many of the access trails are cut off and how many cliffs get blasted. At the very least a large amount of climbing would be closed for the duration of the construction.

The thing is there are several options and two of those would effect climbing at the Muir. The two opptions cutting through the Muir are favored by most residents as it doesn't cut across their land as much if at all. Alternatives E and F would cut across or very near Coyote Cliff, Slab City, The Arsenal, Midnight Surf, The Bone Yard, and possibly de Bibliothek Wall not to mention other cliffs I missed and those that are currently under development and/or yet to be developed. Tourism is pretty much the only thing going for the area and climbers are becoming a pretty heavy part of the pie. Honestly as crowded as it is getting down there we as climbers can't afford to loose anymore cliffs. The State has already taken Pocket Wall and a couple other great cliffs and the Forest service has almost stopped all new development on their land. The Muir is one of two places at the RRG where climbing is actually encouraged.

Do with it what you will. I just posted the link so those who like climbing at the Muir could know what is going on.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Return to General