Gunks Fatality

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Gunks Fatality

Postby martha » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:33 pm

Hey all,

Just in case some of you heard of the recent fatality in the Gunks, be rest assured it was not one of our climbers down there this week. 6 NB'ers and members of this forum are climbing there. However, they were first on the scene and it was tragic fall resulting in immediate death. From what RC.com and the Gunks forum says, the man was on Three Pines, a classic 5.3 (my first trad lead incidentally) and he fell about 35 or 40 feet to the ground. He was a very experienced climber and 57 years old, having completed 46 peaks in the US over 4000 ft and many other impressive climbs. He had one piece in at about 10 feet and continued up over easy ground. When he fell either he had in no other gear, or something came out. In any case, he hit a ledge, and then continued to the ground where he hit his head on a rock. yes he was wearing a helmet.

a Grim reminder of the dangers in our sport. All the best to the friends and family of the climber and my thoughts to our friends from NB who are obviously very shaken.

Cara
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Re: Gunks Fatality

Postby granite_grrl » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:10 am

frig, sounds like the same kind of thing when I had my accident, easy ground, not a lot of gear....and yes, flowers can happen.

I guess I just had a little more luck. :(

I send out my condolences to all effected by this.
granite_grrl

Return to General