Cool Vid - Dean Potter

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Cool Vid - Dean Potter

Postby Ken P » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:20 pm

Ken P

Re: Cool Vid - Dean Potter

Postby Murph » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:20 pm

cool stuff!
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby Graham » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:41 pm

I imagine landing a base jump bare foot is probably the worst part of that whole thing.
Graham

Postby jeremy benjamin » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:50 am

If you think landing a base jump bare foot is a crazy check out the wingsuit video under the dean potter one on the same page. Dude wants to land a wing suit flight from an airplane without a parachute. Crazy flowers yo.
jeremy benjamin

Postby Graham » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:36 pm

Yeah, that guys a bit nuts. He was on in a movie at this years Banff Festival (The one about the girl basejumper, what's it called?) as well on the colbert report. Cheerful guy, just a few aces short of a deck.
Graham

Postby granite_grrl » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:41 pm

Huh, I didn't know that slacklining was considered a sport.
granite_grrl

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:31 am

jeremy benjamin wrote:If you think landing a base jump bare foot is a crazy check out the wingsuit video under the dean potter one on the same page. Dude wants to land a wing suit flight from an airplane without a parachute. Crazy poop yo.

Both seem a little crazy and contrived. But who are we to judge.

The wing suit thing seems especially so, since you need to have a special landing zone to do it. With a big enough air bag it could probably be done without the wing suit.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Climbing4life » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:43 pm

all i can say , is i think he`s nuts . great vid.
"Death was Nature's way of telling you to slow down."
-- Terry Pratchett (Strata, 1981)
Climbing4life

Postby STeveA » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:30 pm

Slacklining is definatley a sport since it is now banned in several US parks including JTree.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby Climbing4life » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:01 pm

STeveA wrote:Slacklining is definatley a sport since it is now banned in several US parks including JTree.

you cant slackline in J tree? even if its just feet off the ground , i remember pics of you guys with one on your site a few year back. Or just no Highlining?
Climbing4life

Postby PeterA » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:43 pm

Climbing4life wrote:
STeveA wrote:Slacklining is definatley a sport since it is now banned in several US parks including JTree.

you cant slackline in J tree? even if its just feet off the ground , i remember pics of you guys with one on your site a few year back. Or just no Highlining?

nope, no slacklining period. We got lucky last year i guess, they didn't see it, but if they do see it, they'll make you take it down.

-PJ
PeterA

Postby chossmonkey » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:44 pm

Climbing4life wrote:

I think they got POed about all the lines being set up in the campgrounds and lines being left up for weeks and months at a time.

Once they start having slackline comps it will be a sport. Until then it is just a hobby. :P
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby *Chris* » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:48 pm

chossmonkey wrote:
Climbing4life wrote:

I think they got POed about all the lines being set up in the campgrounds and lines being left up for weeks and months at a time.

Once they start having slackline comps it will be a sport. Until then it is just a hobby. :P

Depends I guess...
My take is that 'sports' have clear, measureable, and definative outcomes in terms of the winners and loosers. Things that have scores (like hockey, football, etc.) or times (like races, marathons, etc.) are sports. Things that dip into the realm of subjective grading and judging are not sports... they are activities. Climbing in the common and modern sense is an activity; and it probably always will be. Unless your racing across a slackline in that comp... your in pursuit of an activity. This is not to say that sports are better, harder, or more worthwhile than activities... they are just different!
*Chris*

Postby szymiec » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:55 pm

granite_grrl wrote:Huh, I didn't know that slacklining was considered a sport.

ill probably regret saying this, but I'd say it's about as much of a sport as bouldering.

sorta kinda, not really, kinda sporty but not really a sport, something to do when the wall is wet.

a famous man once said: "Sport climbing is neither!"

chris
szymiec

Postby martha » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:37 am

szymiec wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:Huh, I didn't know that slacklining was considered a sport.

ill probably regret saying this, but I'd say it's about as much of a sport as bouldering.

sorta kinda, not really, kinda sporty but not really a sport, something to do when the wall is wet.

a famous man once said: "Sport climbing is neither!"

chris

SCIN! I tend to agree with you here. Something to do when the rock is wet, or during bug season and you can go coastal. :)
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby Murph » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:02 am

*Chris* wrote:Depends I guess...
My take is that 'sports' have clear, measureable, and definative outcomes in terms of the winners and loosers. Things that have scores (like hockey, football, etc.) or times (like races, marathons, etc.) are sports. Things that dip into the realm of subjective grading and judging are not sports... they are activities. Climbing in the common and modern sense is an activity; and it probably always will be. Unless your racing across a slackline in that comp... your in pursuit of an activity. This is not to say that sports are better, harder, or more worthwhile than activities... they are just different!

I’ve often heard the argument that “if you can do it drunk, it’s not a sport” (i.e. golf)

Slackline + beer – balance = Difficult
Murph

Postby Fred » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:03 am

yes but...

a drunk golfer is no Tiger Woods...
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Climbing4life » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:15 am

Fred wrote:yes but...

Genius!! :D
Climbing4life

Postby Murph » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:19 am

a drunk driver is no Dale Earnhardt Jr. ....lol :wink:
Murph

Postby martha » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:34 am

And a drunk highliner/base jumper is likely dead!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Postby The Mitt » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:48 pm

So I guess Dean Potter is back in everyones good books now?
The Mitt

Postby STeveA » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:07 am

It is kinda like the Jackass movies; he is still an ass, but it is hard not to watch his exploits.
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby Climbing4life » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:28 am

The Mitt wrote:So I guess Dean Potter is back in everyones good books now?

i dont really know about him , but im guessing he`s a wreckless mofo?? anything perticular he did that was stupid/ really dangerous. I did however see the vid of him on the nose of el cap.
that is RETARDED
Climbing4life

Postby szymiec » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:22 am

deans not an ass at all. He is a totally cool guy that hates fame and loves climbing. sure he goes where he might not belong but whatever, he isnt hurting anyone.
szymiec

Postby The Mitt » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:28 pm

szymiec wrote:deans not an ass at all. He is a totally cool guy that hates fame and loves climbing. sure he goes where he might not belong but whatever, he isnt hurting anyone.

I don't think I could disagree more. Anyone who would put everyones access in a National Park at risk by knowingly climbing on something that was restricted and then lying about the incident, makes him a huge ass. Positive comments about him just helps him maintain his idiot ways and puts a paycheck in his wallet. If he hated fame he would not put himself out to be sponsored.
The Mitt

Postby *Chris* » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:28 pm

Climbing4life wrote:
The Mitt wrote:So I guess Dean Potter is back in everyones good books now?

i dont really know about him , but im guessing he`s a wreckless mofo?? anything perticular he did that was stupid/ really dangerous. I did however see the vid of him on the nose of el cap.
that is RETARDED

In essence, many feel that his solos and stunts fly in the face of the efforts that climbing advocacy groups (like the Access Fund) have made to reach out to landowners; particularly in the US. It's hard to paint a picture of climbers being responsible users of the land when the Dean Potters of the world like to make videos of themselves getting high and soloing on areas which are closed (for legitimate reasons). Unfortunately, it usually only takes one person to blow it for a much larger group.

You can search "Delicate Arch" in Google and read the whole story if you wish. That is likely the incident referred to above.
*Chris*

Postby The Mitt » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:23 pm

Yes but in the beginning he tried to make it sound like this pure natural event between him and the rock. Then it came out that he used gear to set it up, and to rap down which in fact also caused damage to the rock. Some people don't know but it is a symbol for the state. Way to make all climbers look stupid.
The Mitt

Return to General