anyone heard this yet?

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Re: anyone heard this yet?

Postby Adam » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:56 pm

granite_grrl wrote:I don't think you'll be insisting on people pushing themselves that close to the edge if you ever have to carry someone else or get carried out yourself. Trust me, there is no glory in it.

i've twice carried people out of cochrane lane, and both times they were rope climbing.

no one insisted that anyone push themselves to free solo.
Adam

Postby Nihoa » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:07 pm

trad_reborn wrote:and Mark... you say you dislike certain celeb climbers as if you know them personally. all we see is a persona, not the real person, so what is it about DP and others that so irks you? he does crazy flowers and is still alive so dude's got skills. what is it that causes dismissal by default?

i dont have a prob with dean, see my post up above where i defended him. i dont think it matters if i know them personally or not, if i dislike their style or the projects they work i couldnt care less what they send was my point.
Nihoa

Postby Matt Peck » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:19 pm

Um. I think Eric was saying that it wasn't just about the glory, Rebecca.
You're saying you get it? Have you really pushed yourself to the point of teetering on death?

I don't think you'll be insisting on people pushing themselves that close to the edge if you ever have to carry someone else or get carried out yourself. Trust me, there is no glory in it.
Burley wrote:Push yourself to the point of teetering on death and you'll get it... it ain't the fame, the glory, the ladies, the cash... they are all nice, but this is about the addiction... the man is just feeding the rat... doesn't have a choice in the matter.

I think he was getting at other drives. Not to say you don't have a point.
I mean, I've harshed folks about soloing before, and used to be extremely self-righteous about it, but I've mellowed a bit on the subject. I've soloed a little bit in the past couple of years, and yes, it's unsafe, but really it's a judgement call for the individual. I don't expect anyone to sympathize if I peel, clearly you have to take responsability for your actions. By that same token, it's not really responsible to solo in front of other people, as you obligate them to help you out if you fall, or at least make them uncomfortable. Probably not responsible to solo period.
So again, judgement call.
I find a lot of the grandstanding that is going on to be a little bogus. Ego for me shouldn't (I said shouldn't just there, I know Im guilty of it from time to time) have a place in climbing, (ego being different from confidence), but I admire someone's ability to free solo all the same. Im not about to dismiss soloists outright. Even if I have to carry one out one of these days.
But Stolbists are just fn nuts. :D
I also think Burley know's what he's talking about.
You can't take the sky from me.
Matt Peck

Previous

Return to General