Bolts in Acadia FYI

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Bolts in Acadia FYI

Postby theriault » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Since I consider this a local crag....
FYI
http://www.rockandice.com/news/1874-aca ... y-heats-up
Marty
theriault

Re: Bolts in Acadia FYI

Postby Dom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:11 am

Although a committee makes sense, I'm really glad we don't have to go through one here in NB to install permanent anchors.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby mick » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:36 am

So they talked about development for eight years before making a decision and were shocked to learn that climbers had become impatient over that period of time? As far as I can tell, there was no particular moratorium on bolting proposed or implemented in the interim and I'm not exactly sold on the notion that such an action is noble or desirable to begin with.
mick

Postby theriault » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:31 am

Dom wrote:Although a committee makes sense, I'm really glad we don't have to go through one here in NB to install permanent anchors.

+1
Marty
theriault

Postby Dom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:47 am

mick wrote:So they talked about development for eight years before making a decision and were shocked to learn that climbers had become impatient over that period of time?

That's the problem with committees. The theoretical idea that people from different circles are going to get together and approve if people can alter the rock is a good one. Then the committee can debate and give a clear idea of what is reasonable and what is not. The practical reality is that they will rarely meet so climbers won't bother going through the process of getting authorization and such. That is just the way I think, what I say may be completely false :mrgreen: .

In NB anyways, if someone disagrees with a bolt placement, then we will hear about it on CEC. Then people will debate and it'll just become a Fredericton vs Saint John fight with Moncton trying to voice their opinion while no one listens hehe. It's sorta like a council right? hehe :D
Dom

Postby *Chris* » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:55 am

Dom wrote:In NB anyways, if someone disagrees with a bolt placement, then we will hear about it on CEC. Then people will debate and it'll just become a Fredericton vs Saint John fight with Moncton trying to voice their opinion while no one listens hehe. It's sorta like a council right? hehe :D
I will take the NB process any day of the week. Also... I think this site is more useful that it's given credit. In the past 5 years 99% of the discussion here has been productive even when folks disagree. You hear a lot about the controversial 1 bolt that gets chopped. You don't hear as much about the dozens of good ideas/actions that come out of the forum. Cheers.
*Chris*

Postby Dom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:11 am

I completely agree with you Chris. The rebolting as an example would never have been so big without CEC.

I was simply reminiscing about the good old bolt discussions we've had a few years back. I miss them. Someone go bolt Snakepeel so we can have a full on debate/war.

(for those of you that don't understand sarcasm in internet posts, the last sentence is sarcastic) :mrgreen:
Dom

Return to General