Climbing in Ontario

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Climbing in Ontario

Postby tintanium » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:47 am

I'm going to be in Ontario in July and free for one week, possibly two. Any ideas on the must-climbs? I've got Bon Echo and Lions Head marked - any other suggestions?
tintanium

Re: Climbing in Ontario

Postby Fred » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Mount Baldy is quite nice. If you are near Ottawa I would recommend taking the drive back towards Montreal to climb at Val-David. The climbing in Luskville/Gatineau is soso. Check out this sticky thread

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1643
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby tintanium » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:22 pm

Thanks Fred. I've been on ontarioclimbing.com too - a friendly bunch down that way.
tintanium

Postby Fred » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:33 pm

sorry... I think it's called Old Baldy.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby chossmonkey » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:21 am

Fred wrote:sorry... I think it's called Old Baldy.

correct

Mount Nemo is also good.

What kind of routes are you looking for? Where will you be based?
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:01 am

If you plan on going to Nemo, read my report on "not" going to Nemo North.

Chossmonkey can give you better beta on exact route recommendations.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:41 am

Fred wrote:If you plan on going to Nemo, read my report on "not" going to Nemo North.

Nemo can be *okay*, but I think there are certainly better crags. Frankly, it all depends on how much time you have, style of climbing you're interested in and grade range within that style.

Nemo in July can be getting a little warm and extra slick though.
granite_grrl

Postby tintanium » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.

Here's my plan so far. I'm hoping to do some easy/ier multipitch trad at Bon Echo, some sport on the escarpment around Milton and up at Lions Head - maybe stop at Val David and then Kamouraska on the way back. I may have another week to play with, and who knows - maybe a few days at Welsford will be in order. I've - gasp - never been yet. I'm starting to feel excited about it all.
tintanium

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:42 pm

If you have the entire week to dedicate to climbing I'd probably stay out of the Milton area (unless you are relying on partners who can only climb there).

Bon Echo is worth a weekend, but the ACC boat service only runs on the weekend. Contact the custodian (http://climbers.org/bonecho/custodian) on the weekend you're planning on going and they'll pick you up at the public boat launch. It's $25/day for non ACC members ($12.50 for members. The price is per DAY, not night due to the boat usage). More info: http://climbers.org/bon-echo-and-our-cabin

There isn't much camping in the Beaver Valley unfortunately, but I would look at Old Baldy and Metcalfe for sport climbing. I also have had much time to check it out, but a bunch more lines have been bolted at Devil's Glen in the same general area.

On the Bruce there is Lion's Head (which I'm not in love with because of the rapping in and hanging belays), White Bluff (steep and fun, the rock is way more solid than it looks, but some of the bolts are pretty depressing...all the same I really like climbing there), TV Tower (very little sport) and Cape Croker (very little sport). There is also bouldering up at Halfway Log Dump. I haven't climb there, but people I know have really enjoyed it.

Are you heading out here by yourself? Partners on the weekend will be easy to find, but it'll be best to line up partners during for during the week. There's not a usual climber's camping area and it will probably be hit or miss when it comes to picking up partners at the crag.

BTW - I go by "becs" on Ontario Climbing, in case you haven't figured it out yet. ;)
granite_grrl

Postby tintanium » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:08 pm

Thanks granite__grrl. I'd really like to check out Bon Echo - it looks and sounds like an amazing spot. And it looks like Old Baldy is the place for sport - what are you doing mid-week July 17-23?
tintanium

Postby granite_grrl » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:57 pm

tintanium wrote:what are you doing mid-week July 17-23?

Hard to say. Lost my job recently....if you luck I'll still be looking. Personally though, I hope I'll be working.
granite_grrl

Postby Murph » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:20 pm

How far west are you traveling? If you are near Sault Ste Marie check out
http://www.northofsuperiorclimbing.com/
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Return to General