Introducing children to climbing

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Introducing children to climbing

Postby Newclimbingdad » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:29 pm

My three year old son is a climber. Not necessarily in the same context as most people in this webgroup, but I think he definately has the potential. He has no fear, and he will climb anything anywhere. Recently he had the chance to climb a small wall with climbing holds, probably 10' high, and he didn't hesitate at all.

I am seriously considering trying to take him to a climbing wall and letting him try some bouldering to see how he likes it. Does anyone have any advice? Is 3 too young? Where would be the best place to go in HRM? How do I introduce him without overwhelming him?

Any pointers that you can share would be appreciated.

I have done some indoor climbing, but nothing serious. I would love to find something (ie climbing) that my son and I could do together.

Thanks.
Newclimbingdad

Re: Introducing children to climbing

Postby Andrew » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:30 am

Ground Zero is an indoor climbing gym. You should call and see if 3 is too young for their indoor wall.

http://www.climbgroundzero.ca

Ground Zero Climbing Gym
*** Corner of Wright and Jon Savage.
New address to be posted soon.

Tel: 902-468-8788

Email: groundzeroclimbinggym@ns.sympatico.ca

Personal opinion - I think many kids were born with the eagerness to climb and should be given the chance to do it. For you kid, maybe 3 years is good. Only way to find out is to take them to a gym or outdoor rock. As long as you can find a proper full body harness for you child and a helmet if you are outdoors, I don't see why not.

Newclimbingdad wrote:My three year old son is a climber. Not necessarily in the same context as most people in this webgroup, but I think he definately has the potential. He has no fear, and he will climb anything anywhere. Recently he had the chance to climb a small wall with climbing holds, probably 10' high, and he didn't hesitate at all.

I am seriously considering trying to take him to a climbing wall and letting him try some bouldering to see how he likes it. Does anyone have any advice? Is 3 too young? Where would be the best place to go in HRM? How do I introduce him without overwhelming him?

Any pointers that you can share would be appreciated.

I have done some indoor climbing, but nothing serious. I would love to find something (ie climbing) that my son and I could do together.

Thanks.
Andrew

Postby Nihoa » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:12 pm

at the unb gym we do lots of bday bookings, schools, etc and typically the kids are at least 6 years old or more. we did do a pre-school once where the kids were all 3 or 4 and while they had a blast they could do very little to no climbing even on a flat wall with huge holds. my back ached for weeks lifting the kids up the wall! take your little fella outside, find a low boulder that he can scramble on and play around. thats what fred and caras little one the same age seemed to have fun doing.
Nihoa

Postby Andipants » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:32 pm

I've been talking my little guy to Ground Zero since he was three so they're not opposed. The most difficult thing we've had to deal with is making him aware of the other climbers so he doesn't make them nervous by walking under tham and so that he doesn't get hurt.
The only thing is that despite being very excited to climb things outside the introduction of the climbing gym hasn't been as exciting for him. He likes to watch the other climbers which, as far as I'm concerned, is a fine intro for kids.
Ground Zero has shoes and harnesses for rent for very small kids so you won't have to worry about getting the gear either.
Andipants

Postby Fred » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:10 pm

Our 4 year old climbs up the 8ft wall in our garage and likes to scramble on boulders outside. At that age just exposing them to climbing and getting them out is enough. They won't climb very much if any at all but it's getting them out that counts.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby martha » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:01 am

I'm with Fred, just having the kids exposed and around it, they will naturally do it. 3 is not too young, but our daughter didnt' start actually climbing much on the climbing wall until this summer at 4.5years old. however, our son is 2 and he is starting to climb a little on the climbing wall... so your guy could be more than ready! :)

Most important part... have fun!!!
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Return to General