Climbing Trip Suggestions

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Climbing Trip Suggestions

Postby Scooter » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:20 pm

So,

I am planning to go on a 3week climbing trip around August/ September. I am looking for something with beautiful landscape/ sights and great climbing. Just wondering where you have all been around this time of year. Good temperatures are a must, so nothing too hot.

Spray on.
Scott.R
Scooter

Re: Climbing Trip Suggestions

Postby tintanium » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:08 pm

tintanium

Postby the kydd » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:28 pm

Squamish.

Has everything, 100's maybe 1000's of boulder problems all within a few minute walk of the camp ground. Several sport climbing areas (some close, some you'll need a car for), and more cracks than you can climb in a life-time.

Lakes to swim in, ocean, mountains to hike, amazing mountain bike trails, the list goes on. The town doesn't promote itself as the outdoor recreation capital of Canada for no reason. You can also get to Whistler in an hour if you want to spend $$ and check out a tourist trap/town. Vancouver is 45 minutes in the other direction and has everything.

Downside - August is BUSY. September is the beginning of the real climbing season as the crowds start to diminish. Best way to avoid the crowds; take the weekends off or spend them at more distant remote crags, and avoid using the Squamish Select guide book (this book is actually quite good, but everyone has it so they all end up at the same 5-star climbs). August can also be pretty hot. But, because it's next to the ocean, and there is also always a breeze/windy, the boulders in the forest are a great place to go.
the kydd

Postby szymiec » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:44 pm

India big walls!!! Gharwhal, north of Gangotri.
szymiec

Postby anderfo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:11 pm

In August, if you don't mind travelling for a while, Lofoten is a nice place with perfect (trad) climbing and nice scenery.
More info here and you may want to use the Rockfax Guidebook.

+ check out some of my photos here.
A bunch of photos
My home crag is Hell (and, yes, I've seen Hell freezing over...)
anderfo

Return to General