Sandpapering your tips

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Sandpapering your tips

Postby granite_grrl » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:09 pm

Limestone makes for soft hands :( . From experiance a 4 day weekend to the Red leaves my tips sore and raw. Last year I went down for a full week, I was crying by the end, I sat there on rest days willing my skin to grow back.

This year we're going to the Red for 2 weeks. We want to be prepared, built up our skin before we get there. I know how hard the NS granite can be on your tips, especially early in the season. I'm just wondering if anyone out there does pre-season tip building, by sandpapering or otherwise. I'm looking for any tips or tricks you might have.

We have 3.5 weeks before our trip.
granite_grrl

Re: Sandpapering your tips

Postby jeremy benjamin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:39 am

Hoofmaker!
jeremy benjamin

Postby Burley » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:45 am

Preseason Tip Prep - Steps to Success!
By Burley

What you need:
1. Truck
2. Rope
3. Helmet

What to do:
1. Have a friend tie your ankles together and tether your ankles to the hitch of the truck.
2. Put your helmet on - Safety First.
3. Face the asphalt belly down and hands out.
4. Have friend drive at approx 20 kms per hour for 200m.
5. Tighten those abs and get those tips out! The technique will come quickly.

Recovery time = approx 2 weeks.

I doubt you'll complain about your skinless tips ever again ;)
Burley

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:22 pm

Er....thanks?

Maybe I should have put this in the NS forum? The rock there is harder on the hands than in NB.....not a a pansy limestone puller like myself could handle either for very long with no preperation. :mrgreen:
granite_grrl

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:44 pm

jeremy benjamin wrote:Hoofmaker!
I've hear that a lot before, but have never been able to find it.

Where do you get it from?
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby jeremy benjamin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:37 pm

Hoofmaker is intended for strengthening horse’s hooves. You can buy it at stores that cater to horse people, they are sometimes called tack shops but I don't know why. Tack shops sell saddles and cowboy apparel, like boots and hats and big belt buckles. You can also find it online at both horse and climbing related sites. I used it while on a 3 week trip to Squamish. I found that it helped with skin growth and toughening of my tips, but I also found that the skin layer that seemed to grow faster and be tougher would sometimes peel off when climbing. It would probably be beneficial to use it in advance of a big trip, which I did not do.

As for the Nova Scotian beta on climbing hard, like really hard, on rocks that are sharp, like really sharp, in the day light and also during (whisper voice) 'night sessions' when it is dark, like really dark. Here is the NS low down. Start by living in your car. You can upgrade to a truck eventually, but first you have to pay your dues in the car to earn the right to live in a truck. Eat a diet consisting mainly of dried oats, but subsidise your diet with opportunistic protein from sources like fertilized chicken eggs meant for scientific research or troublesome squirrels. Train hard but take good rest days. A good schedule is to climb two days and then rest for two days. On your off days your time should be mainly spent climbing. Remember, sending temps are good at night, so climb at the gym during the day to wait out the heat and then head out to the boulders for your session. It is beneficial (for some reason) to wear shoes that do not match, and to keep spare shoes scattered around the city at various climbing destinations, but I think that is more of a placebo than anything else. Those are just a few simple guidelines to climbing hard in Nova Scotia. Most of them should translate well to limestone I think.

Good Luck. Let us know how it works out.
jeremy benjamin

Postby Murph » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:52 pm

I’ve never seen/ heard of/ or used this stuff before but it might be what you are looking for...
-"Why do this instead of a 5.13 sport climb?"
-"Cause this is way more bitch!n'"
Matt Segal, The sharp end
Murph

Postby Nihoa » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:34 pm

hoofmaker is a quick, emergency fix thatll help you climb multiple days. i wouldnt pre-trip hoofmaker cus hoofmaker skin peels like crazy. the evening after a hard day you can work it into your hands for a few hours and the next day wont feel so horrible.
Nihoa

Postby Adam » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:08 pm

joshua tree climbing salve is awesome too. i don't konw what hoofmaker is like, but salve heals your skin quickly. if you have tender skin or any cuts or scrapes, apply salve a few times that evening to your tips and cuts and palms and you'll have skin the next day -- unless you climb in nova scotia ;)
Adam

Postby granite_grrl » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:04 pm

trad_reborn wrote:joshua tree climbing salve is awesome too. i don't konw what hoofmaker is like, but salve heals your skin quickly. if you have tender skin or any cuts or scrapes, apply salve a few times that evening to your tips and cuts and palms and you'll have skin the next day -- unless you climb in nova scotia ;)

I've heard a lot of people rave about this stuff, but I've always been a little dubious....maybe it'll be time to try it out.
granite_grrl

Return to General