Rope Rug

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

Rope Rug

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:09 pm

So Shawn says "I'm never climbing on THAT rope again!", so damn, what do I do with it now? I fart around with it, and it turns into this:
attachment=0]rope_rug.JPG[/attachment]
Kids, if you want to try this at home, here's the deal:
1) a 10.5 60m rope makes a 2'x 3' rug
2) place 2 screws into your bedroom floor 3' apart, and continue 7 more pairs at 3" intervals
3) with the rope bent in half, put the halfway mark around the last screw, then wrap the rope back and forth around all the screws. For a smooth look, be sure to fold the outside rope over the inside rope at each screw.
rope_setup.JPG
rope_setup.JPG (77.3 KiB) Viewed 697 times

4) start weaving the paired rope ends (I taped them together) over and under the horizontals, but through the rope at the halfway mark (do this only once) as indicated in the rope_setup photo.
5) continue this until you run out of rope. But you'll have to tighten up all the strands as you work along. An old ice axe is the perfect tool for snugging down the weave. Do this at the quarter, half, and three quarter point, trying to keep all the vertical weaves parallel to each other.
tighten_rope.JPG
tighten_rope.JPG (97.11 KiB) Viewed 691 times

6) finish by weaving the last bit of rope into the edge of the mat by a corner. I wove one rope horizontally and the other vertically.

I made 1 "prototype", took it all apart, but the second attempt was successful. Now my kids comment that it doesn't feel right to wipe their feet on a rope, but I remind them that uglier pieces of crap had been tied to it before.

Good luck, Joe.
Attachments
rope_rug.JPG
rope_rug.JPG (84.58 KiB) Viewed 692 times
Joe

Re: Rope Rug

Postby PeterA » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:31 pm

Do you think it will work with dad's rope? Hey says it will be time to retire it in a few years

-PJ
Attachments
hemp.jpg
hemp.jpg (47.96 KiB) Viewed 675 times
PeterA

Postby Stacey » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:10 am

Wow - that is great Joe!

Definitely a cool option for retiring a rope!

Stace
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby Shawn B » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:21 am

No it was the other short and fuzzy rope I said I wouldn't climb on. Oh well at least you have a nice new mat. Place at your front door and remember the old rule that when someone steps on your rope they owe you a beer. :)
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby martha » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:12 pm

Shawn B wrote: Place at your front door and remember the old rule that when someone steps on your rope they owe you a beer. :)

Ha! great idea!

i've got one from an old rope that a friend made me that looks more like 4 circles woven together. I'm sure it is a mariners 'pattern' or something. I'll try and dig it up.

and hey, at least if you do this, Jamie Simpson won't try to climb on it! ;)
The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

If a husband speaks in the woods, and his wife is not there to hear him...is he still wrong?
martha

Return to General