CLIMBING TRIP EUROPE OR PATAGONIA??

For all the motormouths who just need to spray.

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

CLIMBING TRIP EUROPE OR PATAGONIA??

Postby climberwannabe » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:35 pm

Ok, I got in touch with a friend who has spent a fair bit of time in Nepal, and July is like the worst time to go for weather.. so cancel Nepal.

I am looking to backpack/climb/mountaineer/drink foreign beer for 4 weeks in July. Right now I am considering the Alps or Patagonians... which is easier to find a guide once I get there, and how would the price compare?? I am on a bit of a budget, which I havent exactly set out yet... but I will most likely go witht he best cost/experience ratio (meaning I am cheap, and want to do this like a student). I've already spent some cash on lonely planet's for Nepal and would rather NOT buy the entire series just to make a decision on where to go, but rather decide THEN buy the book... so ff anyone can shed some light on a novice world traveller I would really appreciate it!
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Re: CLIMBING TRIP EUROPE OR PATAGONIA??

Postby dcentral » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:15 pm

climberwannabe wrote:Ok, I got in touch with a friend who has spent a fair bit of time in Nepal, and July is like the worst time to go for weather.. so cancel Nepal.

I am looking to backpack/climb/mountaineer/drink foreign beer for 4 weeks in July. Right now I am considering the Alps or Patagonians... which is easier to find a guide once I get there, and how would the price compare?? I am on a bit of a budget, which I havent exactly set out yet... but I will most likely go witht he best cost/experience ratio (meaning I am cheap, and want to do this like a student). I've already spent some cash on lonely planet's for Nepal and would rather NOT buy the entire series just to make a decision on where to go, but rather decide THEN buy the book... so ff anyone can shed some light on a novice world traveller I would really appreciate it!

You could go to the library first to read the books.
dcentral

no pablo et biblioteca porfavor

Postby climberwannabe » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:45 pm

the what? The kind of books I read have lots of pictures, but I have the internet at home now! I just want to see if anyone has first hand experience in either place and recommends one over the other this time of year. Or knows of a great guide/bad guide experience.
Mother nature: 1, climberwannabe: 0
climberwannabe

Alps

Postby peter » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:21 pm

Regarding the Alps, I once used a guide from the American Alpine Institute, Tim Connelly. See http://www.mtnguide.com/ I see that they have some expeditions going to South America this summer.

Guides are generally expensive and hit or miss in terms of what you get. I enjoyed Tim's company, but can't say much beyond that.

I have tons of information on climbing in the French Alps, ie "self-catering", but not so much on how to find a guide or join a group. Sorry.

The UK site, http://www.ukclimbing.com, Forums under the heading, Alpine & Expeditions, is a good place to search for or troll for information.

P.
peter

Postby Stan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:38 pm

Stan

Postby max » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:43 pm

Patagonia is sweet. I was there 2 years ago for about a month and did a few backpacking trips and some bouldering. The hikes into Fitz Roy and Cerro Torre in Los Glaciers National park are day trips, there is an wonderful 5 fast 8 mellow days hike in Torres Del Paine National Park. I don't know about getting a guide because I did it with a friend. I know of a sweet 5 day hike around fitz roy you are suppose to have a guide. Its about 100USdollars to hike the Torres Del Paine trail and free camping at Fitz Roy for 14 days and the hiking is free aswell. There is also a hostel in Chalten which is the little town by Fitz Roy. I can tell you I'm going back for sure but I'll be climbing not hiking! Hope you have fun where ever you go!
max

Re: CLIMBING TRIP EUROPE OR PATAGONIA??

Postby szymiec » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:55 am

You know, it's game on for the Trango Towers right now in Pakistan.

I'm leaving tomorrow to climb a wee hill called Spantik before my Nepal season. It might be a little short notice to get things together but if you're interested give me a PM and i can give you the numbers of some people over there.

Peace out

Chris
szymiec

Return to General