sources of Hangers

Lost gear? Selling? Donating? Questions?

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

sources of Hangers

Postby Andrew » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:48 pm

I generally buy my bolt hangers from MEC.ca but they're out of stock (4-5 weeks back order). Is there anywhere else I can get these in Canada that people here have purchase from before?
Andrew

Re: sources of Hangers

Postby Stan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:41 pm

normally you can call them and have your order shipped from a store directly
I was in Quebec City this Monday - MEC store there had all kinds of hangers
Stan

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:35 am

Pretty much anywhere else is likely to cost twice as much since MEC already has a low markup on all gear and they kinda subsidize bolting hardwear.

Perhaps there is someone who you could borrow some from.

In the future the best bet is to keep some on hand since MEC seems incapable of keeping adequate stock. They are constantly running out of bolting hardwear. Its not like its gonna go bad.
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby chossmonkey » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:37 am

These guys are top notch. Its an independently owned shop in Calgary. If you are ever out that way stop in. I'm pretty sure they do mail-order.

http://www.wickedgravity.com/fixehanger.html
If women ruled the world there would be no wars, just be a bunch of jealous countries not talking to each other.
chossmonkey

Postby TG33 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:51 pm

If you install a rap station opt for the double rings. They are much smoother for pulling.

Cheers
TG33

Postby STeveA » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:39 pm

Andrew wrote:I generally buy my bolt hangers from MEC.ca but they're out of stock (4-5 weeks back order). Is there anywhere else I can get these in Canada that people here have purchase from before?

Andrew

I just ordered all the hangers (40) that Wicked Gravity had in stock. If you want some I will sell them to you at cost once they arrive. I figure there was no point in all of us paying a seperate shipping cost.

Steve
You are, therefore I am. That is the question....
STeveA

Postby Adam » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:25 pm

STeveA wrote:
Andrew wrote:I generally buy my bolt hangers from MEC.ca but they're out of stock (4-5 weeks back order). Is there anywhere else I can get these in Canada that people here have purchase from before?

Andrew

I just ordered all the hangers (40) that Wicked Gravity had in stock. If you want some I will sell them to you at cost once they arrive. I figure there was no point in all of us paying a seperate shipping cost.

Steve

ha u beat me to it. i was going to do the same thing at end of day today. think i could snag 6 of them?
Adam

Postby Andrew » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:54 am

Geeze, hangers are in high demand and low supply.

Steve - Thanks for the offer. I will take you up on it for a few hangers. I will take 4 off your hands. Now I have to go to Woolsey and get some bolts.
Andrew

Postby Jon Corey » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:23 am

While you guys were out scrounging hangers at the stores I have been hard at work in my garage making hangers out of a rusty bed frame
I found in the woods. 2 hack saw blades, 3 broken drill bits, 2 dull drill bits, 7 or 8 beer and I have 1 hanger to donate to the clean up day.
Jon Corey

Postby STeveA » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:17 pm

As soon as the hangers are in, I will let you know. 6 for Adam and 4 for Andrew.

Steve
STeveA

Postby Adam » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:24 pm

awesome thanks Steve.
Adam

Postby the kydd » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:50 am

Not sure why they are so much cheaper through MEC, but I know that other gear retailers, climbing shops, etc, will come into MEC and buy everything that's in the store, and then resell them in their own shops for the exact price that MEC sells them.
the kydd

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:39 am

the kydd wrote:Not sure why they are so much cheaper through MEC, but I know that other gear retailers, climbing shops, etc, will come into MEC and buy everything that's in the store, and then resell them in their own shops for the exact price that MEC sells them.

Where did you hear this?

MEC has very little if any mark up on bolting hardwear, they donate a good amount to certain organizations for hardware replacement as well.

Myself and some other folks I know will go in and clean out all 20-50 pieces of whatever we need. But we don't resell it.

The quantities that most MEC stores, even the DC keep on hand is pretty laughable. They are constantly running out of hardware. If you want to have enough hardware to actually put up more than one route you normally need to plan ahead.
chossmonkey

Postby Adam » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:14 am

chossmonkey wrote:
the kydd wrote:Not sure why they are so much cheaper through MEC, but I know that other gear retailers, climbing shops, etc, will come into MEC and buy everything that's in the store, and then resell them in their own shops for the exact price that MEC sells them.

Where did you hear this?

i heard it from the guy at wickedgravity. they bought from MEC and resell.
Adam

Postby granite_grrl » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:19 am

Adam wrote:
chossmonkey wrote:

Where did you hear this?

i heard it from the guy at wickedgravity. they bought from MEC and resell.

They bought for $2.00 and sold for $1.95? Why bother?
granite_grrl

Postby Adam » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:23 am

granite_grrl wrote:They bought for $2.00 and sold for $1.95? Why bother?

Just to have them on hand I guess, dunno but their contact info is on their website ;)
Adam

Postby STeveA » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:42 pm

The hangers arrived. Adam, I gave PJ 6 for you. Andrew let me know if you are coming to the wall anytime and I can give you yours. They come to $2.50 each with shipping etc.
STeveA

Postby Adam » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:00 pm

STeveA wrote:The hangers arrived. Adam, I gave PJ 6 for you. Andrew let me know if you are coming to the wall anytime and I can give you yours. They come to $2.50 each with shipping etc.

awesome thanks!
Adam

Postby Andrew » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:55 pm

Thanks, Steve.

I dunno when I will be to the wall next. I'll contact you soon about it, though. I have some bolting to do and will need them in the next week/2.

Andrew
Andrew

Postby STeveA » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:20 am

Andrew

Don't wait too long. Between PJ, Jon, Cory amd me they are going fast.
STeveA

Postby Andrew » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:11 pm

STeve,

Are you coming in to the wall tonight? I'll come in for a bit and grab em and a few climbs. See you tonight then.

STeveA wrote:Andrew

Don't wait too long. Between PJ, Jon, Cory amd me they are going fast.
Andrew

Postby STeveA » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:14 pm

I'll be there shortly after 7
STeveA

Postby Stacey » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:02 pm

granite_grrl wrote:They bought for $2.00 and sold for $1.95? Why bother?

Could be the case of getting the consumer 'in the store' (ie. on the website)...and hoping they decide that
since they are ordering something - they might as order some other 'stuff'...
''When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.''
~John Muir
Stacey

Postby pulldown » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:33 am

I saw a lot of talk about Hangers but what about bolts? The bolts that MEC are Hilti made and are not climbing spacific like Fixe hangers. With and industial product like expansion bolts there should be more places to purchase them and possibly a better price. Has anyone done any looking around for bulk price?
pulldown

Postby Greg » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:34 pm

pulldown wrote:I saw a lot of talk about Hangers but what about bolts? The bolts that MEC are Hilti made and are not climbing spacific like Fixe hangers. With and industial product like expansion bolts there should be more places to purchase them and possibly a better price. Has anyone done any looking around for bulk price?

Try Wolseley. They have a branch in Halifax. They sell stainless bolts for about a buck each. That's about as cheap as you can get and they will sell you whatever amount you need.

http://www.weblocal.ca/wolseley-mechani ... ax-ns.html
Greg

Postby chossmonkey » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:18 pm

pulldown wrote:I saw a lot of talk about Hangers but what about bolts? The bolts that MEC are Hilti made and are not climbing spacific like Fixe hangers. With and industial product like expansion bolts there should be more places to purchase them and possibly a better price. Has anyone done any looking around for bulk price?

You need an account to buy at Hilti. If you buy a large amount of bolts you might be able to do better than MEC. Mec doesn't mark up very much on bolting gear so it may not be much. Be prepared to buy them a case at a time. I think there are 4 or more boxes per case.

You could also get another brand. 304 stainless from different manufacturers should all be fairly close but its not all the same. The big difference in strength would be design. Hilti is top notch in design and quality control. The Hilti KB3's tighten up much quicker than most other stud type anchors. If you don't mind having a 1/2" of stud sticking out past the nut then its probably not much of an issue. Sometimes they can start spinning in the hole before being tightened to full torque.

One thing I noticed as well with the UCAN bolts we picked up were that they pound into the hole much harder than the Hilti's. If you don't swing true you will bugger the threads really quick. They also don't tighten nearly as nicely as the KB3's and are a bit more apt to spin.
chossmonkey

Postby Fred » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:00 pm

The Boston tunnel failure a few years ago that killed someone in a passing vehicle was the result of an anchor substitution. The contractor substituted Hilti for a 'supposed' equal product that failed. Althought the products were very similar, the competition's adhesive had not been creep tested, and failed under sustained load.

I'm only saying this to point out that products are not always equal. Make sure you know the implications of substituting. When in doubt, use the Hilti KB3. In my opinion, it's not worth the dollar saved.
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:46 pm

I bought the ones from Woolsely because MEC doesn't seem to ever have stock of anything.
Andrew

Return to Gear