new moderator

We do have climbers here, really!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl

new moderator

Postby shannon » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:48 am

Greetings to all fellow islanders and off islander climbers alike. I have been given the task of moderating the PEI section of this great forum. My name us shannon Burt.

We love to climb (the few people I know about), but many climb trips for us are off island. If you are climbing anywhere within an a couple of hours of the island, let us know. maybe we could join you!

shannon Burt
shannon

Re: new moderator

Postby mitchleblanc » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:05 am

shannon wrote:Greetings to all fellow islanders and off islander climbers alike. I have been given the task of moderating the PEI section of this great forum. My name us shannon Burt.

We love to climb (the few people I know about), but many climb trips for us are off island. If you are climbing anywhere within an a couple of hours of the island, let us know. maybe we could join you!

shannon Burt

Congrats on the nomination. I think that there must be lots of people interested in climbing on the island. Why don't you build a wall? Get people involved? I'm sure it would be super easy to find money/interest.

A good challenge - creating a climbing scene where essentially none existed before!
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:56 am

and, in a way, such a fertile ground for creating a scene... residents would have little to no alt but to climb at your gym (once they actually *wanted* to climb that is)... you could cornerbrook the newmarket!

climbing scene

Postby shannon » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:44 pm

We, I have a wall, and during the summer, a guy named Chris has an outdoor wall that has some nice height on i, but no negative inclines. As a group, it's worth it to go for the day or half day.

Otherwise, it;s been discussed before. Especially when the Boys and Girls club pool closed down last fall. A great place for a climbing wall, but not the demographic to support it. Climbing by nature isn't a big thing here, so at best, it would be a fad that would probably grow stale.

Some schools are getting walls put it though. Elliot River Elementary school just outside of charlottetown is rumered to be getting a traversing wall.

Otherwise, it's always about liabilities.

shannon
shannon

Re: climbing scene

Postby mitchleblanc » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:27 pm

shannon wrote:...Climbing by nature isn't a big thing here, so at best, it would be a fad that would probably grow stale....Otherwise, it's always about liabilities.

Well, I guess you're not much of an optimist are you? Climbing isn't big because there's nowhere to climb!! Climbing is "big" in other places because climbing is fun, not because there is rock. If the fad "grows stale" it's becuase of poor marketing and a crappy wall.

And if you can't get over the "liabilities" thing, then you (or whoever) obviously has never heard of things like 'insurance'. There are a million commercial / private / university / YMCA gyms in the world, and they are just as concerned about liability as you are! That's a cop excuse for people with no business sense, who don't have the motivation to really try.
Bouldering is a dish best served cold.
mitchleblanc

sounding critical

Postby shannon » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:15 am

I guess I do sound a bit critical, and downer-ish. Sorry!

Of course climbing is fun. It's just that I've talked to people about it before, and I've been told that there needs to be a specific population to make a climbing center feesable. Yes, I thought insurance was pretty steep to make it profitable too.

I'd love to make a go at it. I work full time already, and can't afford to make any huge investments. I suppose I could make a proposal to the town about such a business opportunity.

Anyway. didnt mean to sound so down onthe idea.

shannon
shannon

Postby Fred » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:47 am

I think you would have a better chance at taking the "not for profit club" road. I think your idea to have a wall at the Boys and Girls club or somewhere else like that in the community (free rent and liability) is probably your best bet. Then you can just focus on raising money for building the facility.

old squash courts work nice :wink:
I want to go to hell... there's probably lots of rock to climb there.
Fred
Site Admin

Postby dcentral » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:55 pm

Too bad you couldn't give it a technology spin on it cause I'm sure there's lots of room in that ugly Technology Centre they built down town.

I think the a gym could work it would just take a fair bit of work. A boys and girls club type location would be a good idea though. I think it would really need to be a place where people walk by it all the time cause you'd need to peak their interest first.

Like the mall in C/town that has the gym in it already. People are there with their gym gear already so it would be easy for them to come over and try it out.
dcentral

Return to Prince Edward Island