climbing partners/where to top rope

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

climbing partners/where to top rope

Postby floyd » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:44 am

hi guys i just moved to PEI and want to come to nova scotia to climb before the season is over.
does anyone recommend any good spots to top rope/wanna do them with me

I've been told Musquodoboit and Sorrows End are good. Which one is a better climb, how do I get to these places? trailheads? .etc. which one has a more stunning view, and which ones can I back country camp at (preferably with a fresh water source nearby)

thanks for any info guys

-Floyd
floyd

Re: climbing partners/where to top rope

Postby bbell » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:15 am

So I see no one else has answered so I'll try my best but it's been a few years since I've climbed in NS. I think moreso what you are looking for would be the Mosquodobit area. There's a lot more climbing there.

If I recall Sorrows End is mostly 5.10/5.11 sport with a 5.9 trad route and one or two that you can set anchors on for TR but need a fair amount of sling/cord to do so. There is also some bouldering fairly close to the wall. It is a beautiful spot with distant ocean views, right beside a pond for swimming and nice afternoon sun. A nice place to camp I'm sure. Be aware that the access is supposedly shady here but I think the actual crag is on public land.

Musquodobit has a lot more routes and is closer to you. I've only climbed at G-spot (outdated, rough topo and route info here: http://www.climbnovascotia.ca/access/) but there is another wall - main face as well. Musquodobit is also fairly scenic and has more trees for fall colours, i'm not too sure about the camping potential nearby, G-Spot crag doesnt really offer any.

I'm pretty sure the NS climbing guide has more info on all these areas as well. Hope you find what you're looking for.
bbell

Return to Nova Scotia