First Video "Ripe to Fall"

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

First Video "Ripe to Fall"

Postby stoneseeker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:47 am

Just wanted to share this and see what you guys think.

This is the first bouldering video I've made that I am sharing like this... Its a short video of a lot of my favorite footage from over the years of climbing with you guys. I wanted to compile the footage into a music video that effectively portrayed the still moments in the chaos that define why we climb. It was also an exercise in using the program "After Effects" to enhance amateur and sometimes bland footage (we cant all afford cameras like "Pulldown Productions" :P ) and turn it into more appealing and beautiful film. It's practically painted in parts. This is intentional, I wanted it to become a work of art, with the film as only a starting point. I think I could definitely push this further in the future though. It is more of an experiment than a completed work, but I hope you like it regardless.

Anyway, I enjoyed making it. http://vimeo.com/22275329

Climbers: Adam Benjamin, Mark Maas, Luke Buxton, Jeremy Benjamin, Lydia Buxton, Ryan ?last name?, and Dan Boyce.
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Re: First Video "Ripe to Fall"

Postby the kydd » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:55 am

Nice Video Luke!

Quick question: Where/What is the problem at 4:36 in the video?

Maybe seeing this video will get "JoySquirts" all excited and he will finally post up some of his climbing vids. I know he's sitting on lots of edited bouldering footage from your HP40 trip that happened years ago!

Coming to Squamish again this summer?
the kydd

Postby Quinn » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:58 am

Nice video. I like the way you managed to capture a specific theme throughout and tell a story implicitly. When it comes to production value, consider that a $150 camera today will produce better results than the many thousand dollar equipment used in Eastern Tides. Technology is becoming an equalizer in media production. Pick up a Canon 5D Mark II on kijiji and you could rival a modern professional setup at a fraction of the cost. I believe that creativity, a vision, a good eye for composition (and a steady camera) are the most important factors. You definitely got some beautiful shots.
Quinn

Postby chameleon » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:30 am

chameleon

Postby tintanium » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:42 am

not bad, considering it's about bouldering
tintanium

Postby betaburgler » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks for sharing Luke!
Nathan Benjamin
betaburgler

Postby stoneseeker » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:31 pm

thanks for the feedback guys!

Hey Kydd, the boulder at 4:36 is the "High Rise" Boulder in Gibralter. There is also a shot of me on that same boulder falling off the high crux on "Rise Higher" (0:56) - originally a scary project in the guide, but it goes at only around a stiff V3, and is wicked fun! (lots of people have sent it now)

and no, sadly wont be going to Squamish this summer, gotta work while I got some.

Good luck getting Adam to ever finish that film, haha. He does have a Mark II now though, and we want to use it to collaborate on a very short film one of these days just to see what we can do with it. You should come here in the fall and we'll shoot you climbing at Colombus wall or something, that would be sweet.

Hey Quinn, yeah, I agree. although a lot of the footage in this was pretty dismal before I threw it in After Effects and really messed with it. Some of the shots are decent to begin with (HP40 stuff), but all of it got such a makeover, you would hardly recognize it. The software is truly incredible.
~ Lukey
stoneseeker

Return to Nova Scotia