Hurricane Damge timeline

It’s sharp....really sharp!

Moderators: chossmonkey, Dom, granite_grrl, peter, Climb Nova Scotia, Matt Peck

Hurricane Damge timeline

Postby pulldown » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:19 am

I'm trying to put together a timeline of hurricane/Storms and what areas were changed. I can't seem to remember when it all heppened. I'd like to blame it on getting old but my memory has always been flowers.
What was i just saying? ....Anyway, i'll get it started and hopefully everyone else can help fill in the gaps.

Starting at
Hurricane Juan: 2003
Dover Island - Fish Mouth Boulder destroyed
Duncan's Cove - Robar Boulder dropped on the ground
Herring Cove - Rubix Cube moved
Orangutan - first little crimpers came off

Prospect Bay - When did the sit start for Sang De Dragon change?

Hurricane Noel: 2007
Dover Island - One Scoop, gone
- Orangutan, torn a new one.

Did Cassidy's Prow get hit during Noel?

When did the wall in the Cave of the future area get demolished? After Noel?

Crystal Crescent - When did Stealth pants get wiped out, before or after Noel?

Some random winter storm: 2009/2010
Duck Head - Comfort Zone, scooped up by aliens.
Dover Island - Spanky's Arete moved

Hurricane Earl: 2010
Duck head - RIP! too many problems to list but in the guidebook #9"The Grind" and everything left of it to #24
except "Shake n Bake" which got lost sometime after Noel.

Prospect - ????

Please fill in the blanks.

Todd
pulldown

Re: Hurricane Damge timeline

Postby the kydd » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:41 am

Hey Todd,

If memory serves me correctly I believe that both Stealth Pants and Cassidy's Prow were taken away during the same winter. It was the year I lived there, so that would be 2007/8.

I remember Ben Smith working the new top out to Stealth Pants by headlamp one evening. Also, when I was out on Dover, it was just after the One Scoop was destroyed and we were working a new problem (to us, but someone had sent it already on an earlier visit, maybe one of the Benjamin brothers?) just to the right of Orangutan. Also, there were lots of changes around the Lesbian Love Grotto that same visit to Dover. Chris R bagged a couple new lines that visit I believe.
the kydd

Postby jeremy benjamin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:52 am

I am not sure if Hurricane Noel took One Scoop or did the other damage that you have listed. Noel hit NS Nov 4 2007 (According to wikipedia). There are a couple threads on here reporting the changes a group of us discovered on the first trip to Dover after the winter of 07/08.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4495&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=one+scoop+gone

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4496&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=one+scoop+gone

That trip was early May 2008. So the damage may have been caused by Noel, (if no other climbers visited Dover between Nov 2007 and May 2008) or it could have been caused by the winter, or both.

Changes we found in May 2008 included:
the decapitation of Cassidy's Prow
Big rock at the sit start of the Bear and blocking Polar Bear
One Scoop, gone
Orangutan, torn a new one
The collapse of the Cave of the Future area into the Talus area that is between Lesbian Love Grotto and where One Scoop used to be

There are some other changes in those two threads that were all discovered at the same time.
jeremy benjamin

Postby Rowan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:33 pm

Here are some exciting visuals of the changes at Prospect:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54433808@N00/5094944440/in/set-72157624287887375/
The first 2 are the 'after', next 2 are from early June. That Sphinx or beagle shaped block has been spun around 180 degrees: the ramp which faced seaward now makes a gentle, easy landing for the wall behind - before it was a narrow and dicey. Thank-you Earl. Also, a space has opened up to the right, where I think some new problems were climbed a few weeks ago (as best I could match up the descriptions)?
I kind of think the jumble of rocks in the centre of the second pic has changed too. Or else I'd just never noticed that sweet dihedral up there before, duh...
5th pic is the 'new' boulder I noticed the day after Earl (when you still couldn't get close to the actual climbing sectors). I'm not sure if it did actually fall during Earl, or in an earlier storm, but it does offer some fun warm-up stuff: a gymnastic layback-y thing up the steep face; big moves on smooth, supple jugs on the sea-side...
Rowan

Return to Nova Scotia