where does Comrades in Destiny start?

Home of Welsford's Cochrane Lane Cliffs.

Moderators: PeterA, chossmonkey, Stacey, Dom, granite_grrl, Greg, Joe

where does Comrades in Destiny start?

Postby austinconrad » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:34 pm

I'm a bit confussed about where "comrades in destiny" starts. On the new routes section the description makes it sounds like the start is on the trail (consistent with the 120' length of the route). However most people describe it starting at the tree right after the log bridge. I did this route yesterday starting from the tree because the first part looked quite dirty and because of the rain it was extremely slick. Just wanted to know because either way I think it would be worthwhile to clean the bottom section and start from the trail.
austinconrad

Re: where does Comrades in Destiny start?

Postby theriault » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:35 pm

climb650 wrote:because either way I think it would be worthwhile to clean the bottom section

You're more than welcome to grab a brush son. :mrgreen:
Marty
theriault

Postby austinconrad » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:05 pm

theriault wrote:
climb650 wrote:because either way I think it would be worthwhile to clean the bottom section

You're more than welcome to grab a brush son. :mrgreen:

lol that was my intention :P
austinconrad

Postby Dom » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:53 am

I've always started Comrades from the nice log
bridge. The start from the very bottom is Springfield IMO. Both lines merge at the top. I never realized the description for Comrades says 120'. You'll find that most start from the log bridge. On that note I'd like to thank Greg H. For replacing the log bridge. The old one was definitely sketchy!!
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby Shawn B » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:18 am

I have intentions of getting SPRINGFIELD scrubbed at some point this fall. If someone else wants to scrub it have at'er but there are lots of routes that need some tlc. Homer is one that could use a scrubbing too. it is on my to-do list as well as it deserves to see a ton of traffic (nicest route on Simpson wall imo) but again have at'er if you have the desire. I still have to finish up Friction Addiction first.
Safety third!!!
Shawn B

Postby Dom » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:22 am

Shawn B wrote:Homer is one that could use a scrubbing too. it is on my to-do list as well as it deserves to see a ton of traffic (nicest route on Simpson wall imo)

I agree 100%.
So much rock, so little time
Dom

Postby austinconrad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:59 am

Shawn B wrote:I have intentions of getting SPRINGFIELD scrubbed at some point this fall. If someone else wants to scrub it have at'er but there are lots of routes that need some tlc. Homer is one that could use a scrubbing too. it is on my to-do list as well as it deserves to see a ton of traffic (nicest route on Simpson wall imo) but again have at'er if you have the desire. I still have to finish up Friction Addiction first.

I'm heading to CL this saturday, Sunday and Monday with the intention of spending some time cleaning routes. I'll start with Springfield and then look at doing Homer depending on how much time I have/how many people I can drag with me. Hopefully the weather co-operates.
austinconrad

Postby Greg » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 am

Everyone that I know who climbs Comrades starts near the log bridge at the left end of Dawn Wall. Anyone who is climbing Springfield starts on the right hand side of Simpson Wall about 70 feet below and slightly left of Comrades. There has been some dispute concerning the fa of this line but I think that it is not necessary to erase Springfield from the list of climbs and replace it with Comrades as suggested here:
http://climbeasterncanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3879&p=19509&hilit=comrades#p19509
and recorded in the new routes list. As they are climbed now they are easily two distinct lines and virtually no part of them need be shared. If someone wanted to make an alternate lower start to Comrades (right of Springfield) it could easily be done and without a great deal of effort in terms of cleaning.
Greg

Return to New Brunswick